Thursday, December 22, 2005

Something has clicked!

Something deep inside of me has clicked, or so it seems. I have found an internal momentum that I didn’t have before. I am more quick to wash up the dishes than to sit and veg. Where did this come from? How did I get here? I am convinced that God has honored my prayers, and He has worked a transformation on the inside that will leave lasting changes to my outsides. I know that it won’t be easy sailing and that I will fail at this house-keeping thing from time to time. I know I’ll let the dishes go again and laundry will get out of control now and then – but I think that there is something inside of me that has changed. A comittment to my work and a valuing of what I do that has changed me more than any method. Of course the method has helped a lot too – the “little bit every day” has been working for me well. I have started the mantra “I don’t want to have to do this later” which has turned my world upsidedown! (I know “just do it” is so much more disciplined, but I’m not really a disciplined person!)
The fruit of my this is seen in: our bedroom has stayed neat, (i.e. bed made & clothes put away every day.) dishes have been washed 2 – 3 times a day, I’ve done 1 – 2 loads of laundry every day and neatened the living room at some point in the evening or morning nearly every day. I still have to work on keeping the bathroom clean and floors under control, but there will always be the next level of housekeeping to tackle!
I am so thrilled with this progress! The other day I reached for the cheese grater and it was clean! Both at lunch AND at dinner! I can’t believe it! I haven’t had to wash pans in order to cook dinner – how liberating!
The amazing thing is that now I have more time than ever! I have a few minutes to organize the pantry, to neaten books in the Living Room. I do not understand it, but I am so glad!
I’m trying to learn the balance of it – like last night, instead of cleaning up I watched a movie with Daniel & the girls and instead of folding laundry before bed I played a computer game with Daniel. I think that was important to him and although I’m in somewhat of a funk because I have these chores to do now it’s okay, because I exerciesed a moment of balance & flexability.
Another wonderful thing has occurred in these past couple of days. Daniel has started helping me out more, just a little here and a little there, but I think because I have things basically under control he doesn’t mind washing up a few dishes here and taking care of a lightbulb there because the main stuff is under control.
I am eager to see how these next months unfold as this attidude begins to sink in deeper and these habits become more and more engrained.
It is interesting to me the twist this journey has taken. I started out trying to re-define organiztion for the right-brained women but I ended up at the heart of homemaking. An attidue of humility and service, of self control and idustry but above all a surrender to God’s call on my life to keep my home for His glory and as a sacrifice of praise and as an act of worship to Him. What grace God has lavished on me to see and to understand this mystery!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Faith. Love your blog; wish you could write more often, but then again, priorities come first!! Keep trusting in the Lord for His grace to maintain your home. He is the One who has blessed you with your husband, daughters and home, and He will daily give you grace to fulfill all of those delightful duties!